Monday, March 14, 2011

First Grade Attitudes.

On a dreary Monday morning, the one thing I look forward to is being around chipper first graders. Today however, I was not greeted by any. Instead, I was greeted by tired "hmmphs" and groans. A usually loud and crazy line was unusually quiet and subdued in the hallways this morning. It seemed like every single one of them was either tired or had some sort of an attitude.

While he was supposed to be working on SpellingCity, Matthew was sitting at his seat, doing nothing. "Matthew, what are you doing?" I asked. He looked at me, and replied, "Chillin'." I didn't like that answer, so I tried again. "No, what are you doing?" This time he replied, "Picking at my finger nails." I wasn't crazy about that answer either. "I'm going to ask one more time. What are you doing?" Finally he replied in an annoyed tone, "Working on SpellingCity," and reluctantly went back to work.

Geesh! Aren't these kids a little young to have a case of the Mondays?

No comments:

Post a Comment