Anytime someone throws up in the lunchroom, its one of my students.
So I wasn't surprised when I walked in to pick my kids up today and saw the janitor sprinkling that magic puke powder on the floor.
My students quickly reassured me that yes, one of our friends had thrown up on the floor.
What did surprise me however, was that the nurse walked this little girl back to class a few minutes later and told me she wasn't going home.
"Do you know why she threw up? Because (student who will not be named) convinced her to swallow her peaches whole."
I saw the peaches the kids were eating at lunch.
These were peach HALVES people.
So, (student who will not be named) talked my poor puker into swallowing it whole, which the puker did because she's 5, she choked, and then proceeded to throw up that peach half (still whole) all over the floor.
I was livid! I pulled (student who will not be named) aside and said,
"Do you realize she could have gotten seriously hurt?"
When that didn't get much of a reaction, I said,
"Do you realize she could have DIED today?"
That got the reaction that I wanted. Instant terror and tears.
This is serious stuff.
I know they're in kindergarten, but still. They know better than to tell their friends to swallow food without chewing!
And its not like I can trust that our "lunch staff" (i.e. the woman who stands around and yells at the kids to quit talking during lunch) would be capable of reviving a choking student, and delivering her back to me in one living piece.
Needless to say, after the LONG talk we had, I have a feeling that (student who will not be named) will be encouraging everyone else to chew their food into mush before swallowing from now on.