Tuesday, April 3, 2012

insects.

We're starting an insect unit in Science.
Today, I wrote the word "insect" on the board, and asked my kiddos to sound it out.
Once they figured out the word, I asked them what it meant.

No response.
Then a moment later, a few hesitant hands went up.
I was thinking, "Oh boy...this could be interesting."
The following are just a few of the responses I got:

-"Insect is when you be real quiet and don't make any noise."
-"Oh! Its that one thing...you know..."
-"I think an insect is a power that protects you from bad guys."
"Umm...insect means you can't have no recess all week."
-"Its like when you go to the dentist, and he puts that string between your teeth."

Pretty sure he meant floss.
And on that note, I decided to tell them what an insect really is.
Never a dull moment :)

No comments:

Post a Comment