Wednesday, January 25, 2012

pork.

We've been doing a unit on Presidents lately for Social Studies.
We're nearing the end of the unit and I wanted to discuss Obama.
Since this is our current President, I was curious to see what the kids already knew about him.
They pretty much knew nothing, except that his wife's name is Michelle, and she wears pretty clothes.
I asked if the kids knew the reason why Obama is so important.
No one did, so I said, "Barack Obama is the very first African American president the United States has ever had."
Everyone just kind of stared at me.

So then I asked my class (which is about 90% African American) "Does anyone know what African American means?"

Cricket. Cricket.

No one knew. I was trying to figure out how to explain it in Kinder-friendly, but also politically correct lingo when I saw a hand shoot up in the air.
"I remember what African American means..." (says one of my African American students)
..."African American means you can't eat no pork!"

Oh boy.

2 comments:

  1. You really need to write a book with all of these stories....you just can't make this stuff up. Very Funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should! I laugh EVERY single day. They are too funny!

      Delete