Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Vacation Bible School

Since the school year is over for the summer, I've moved on to my next project: Vacation Bible School. I've been put in charge of the PRESCHOOLERS (cue "Jaws" theme)! Every day this week, I've been leading my batch of about 28 three to five year olds through their day. Now I have to say, I thought the first graders I worked with were crazy, but these preschoolers take the cake!

This is the first time that some of these kids have been away from mommy, so I have several criers every morning. This is the first time some of these kids have ever been part of a big group of kids, so I have several who think they can wander off or not follow the rules. Some of these kids have just finished potty training, so there are endless remarks of, "Miss Lisa, I have to go potty again!" But all in all, it's been a lot of fun. Here are two of my favorite stories so far:


Day 1: The theme is the Wild West. For our craft, we were making pouches for the kids to put gold coins in. As we're making the pouches, Claire (3), looks at me, scrunches up her face, and says, "This is NOT a couch." I said, "Not a Couch, a POUCH! Its a kind of like a purse, like mommy has." To which she replies again, "This is NOT a couch."

Day 3: The kids were told to think of different names for God, and we would write them on a huge poster. During one of the activities, I brought Benjamin (4) out into the hallway to help him write on the poster. I said, "Ok Benjamin, can you think of another name for God that we can write on this poster?" He said, "Yes, it starts with a B." "What is it?" I asked. "Benjamin," he replied. "Not Benjamin! We need another name for God!" Again he replied that Benjamin is another name for God. When I told him it wasn't, he became frustrated and said he wanted it to start with a B like Benjamin. I was finally able to satisfy him when I came up with Bread of Life. Just another egocentric moment in the life of a 4 year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment